Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Week 12 Prompt

61.

When I was in 7th grade I had my first boyfriend. His name was Will. We really it off. We held hands on the school bus, emailed during our study halls, wrote notes during math class and snuck in a kiss or two after school. We would talk on the phone for hours on end during the weekends. Since he lived right up the road from me, I would sneak up there with my friends and we'd go for walks down the four wheeler trail.

Will was the kind of guy who was nice all the time. He never picked fights, he never broke up with me. I was the opposite, of course. The first time I broke up with Will was because he had greasy hair at school one day. The next, because I wanted to date his best friend, who was 8 inches shorter than me. Another reason, he wore the same pair of pants two days in a row. Um ew? I broke up with him a total of 11 times in the course of about 3 months. Every time though he'd crawl right back to me.

As the year began to end at school we had a semi formal dance. All of my friends made a pact that we were going to break up with our boyfriends right after semi formal was over. How mature. We did, and that was the last time that Will and I had been together that year. We went the entire summer without being together. Talking occasionally but he'd never take me back after I broke his heart that last time. I knew that I was happy with Will and I wanted to be with him still. When the next year started up, he ended up dating on of my best friends who also happened to be my cousin. I did everything I could to be a kibosh to that one. I successfully broke them up at the expense of another friends relationship ( Wow, was I really that bad?) and Will was mine for good. We dated for 6 months without one single breakup. After the end of that summer Will broke up with me for good and we never dated again. How tragic.

2 comments:

  1. "The first time I broke up with Will was because he had greasy hair at school one day. The next, because I wanted to date his best friend, who was 8 inches shorter than me. Another reason, he wore the same pair of pants two days in a row. "

    :)

    Whew, you were one tough 7th grade gf! Those middle school romances--funny and sad both....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the feeling that the point of the relationship was not to have a relationship but to break the relationship, that the big thrill was the breakup drama itself. Have I got that right?

    ReplyDelete