Sunday, November 10, 2013

Week 11 Prompt

AKC Golden Retriever puppies, first shots, deworming. Will be ready by 11/19/13 -$1200

My very first baby, precious and beautiful. Black fur with the little red eyebrows. Her name is Scarlet.
Scarlet bit my brother, Daddy took out the shotgun, couldn't do it.
She had her puppies- little rotties running around. All of them gone in a couple of months.
Scarlet has a tumor. Vet says she needs to lose weight.
13 years later and my precious, beautiful baby was laid in the ground.

My next baby, fluffy little girl. Called her Honey Bear. She was a precious little pup.
Honey got into the trash again- bad girl.
Ran off with her new partner in crime today- Ozzy.
Honey came back, Ozzy didn't.
Three days later, a starved, dirty Ozzy showed up. Both my babies are home safe.
Honey gets pregnant, has her babies while we were all away- found three of them in the laundry.
10 babies gone so quick. Ozzy and Honey are the best of friends.
Mom decides to leave- so Honey and Ozzy have to go.
Never cried so much in my life.

New baby in the spotlight- another golden.
Brookie is what we call her.
Growing up loving everyone. Always needing attention.
Never gets into the trash, never bites, only loves unconditionally.
The day Brookie and I aren't together anymore is a day that I am dreading.



I tried to write this in the vignette style like it said in the theme to do. I think the image I'm trying to portray here is how quickly friendships go. Writing this made me bawl like a baby thinking about my old puppies. :(


1 comment:

  1. You've done what you set out to do--vignettes, dogs growing old and dying at a different rate than people, the love and tears that dogs represent. I'm with you all the way, here in this dog-centered house. (From where I sit at the computer, I can see five dogs, four 'official' dog beds, all empty but three dogs on chairs and couches, two cardboard boxes for dogs to use as forts and toys, half a dozen used up and abandoned butcher bones, a hassock for dog tricks to be performed on, a towel on the floor we used to dry wet dogs yesterday, one picture of a grandchild but three of dogs, etc etc.)

    Lots of doglovers out there who would appreciate this piece as much as I do--want to offer it to the school literary magazine?

    ReplyDelete