Friday, September 20, 2013

Week 4 Prompt

Cheerleading has been a huge part of my life. When I tell people that they kind of roll their eyes at me and say something like, "Why it's not even a sport?" I've pretty much learned to ignore that aspect of cheerleading all together. When someone asks me about the sport and is genuinely curious, I could go on for HOURS.  People ask me why I love to compete and it's so simple. The thrill of being on the mat, putting on a show and wowing people is just amazing. Yeah, you're probably thinking that I could do that in theatre or in a talent show- that may be true, but you can't get the athleticism in an acting class. The amount of strength and precision required for cheerleading is incredible. Lifting girls into the air, allowing them to trust you and trust yourself not to drop them. Tumbling across the mat, just when you think you're so tired and you find that second wind and just push yourself to finish your pass. In the end when your team is called in first place and you get that overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. That is why I love cheerleading. It holds a very special place in my heart and always will.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always a fan of using 'I' and 'me' instead of 'you.' The words flow easier with 'you' but the writing suffers because instead of visualizing your own particular experiences and remembering stories, the writer gets to glide by on general you-statements.

    That said, you make and defend your point here.

    ReplyDelete