Thursday, September 19, 2013

Week 4 Prompt

I tend to have a big heart. I care about things that aren't alive, have no feelings. Rocks, trash, shoes, dead animals, dead humans. Everything. I sometimes think in my head- well often times- that what if that golf ball that you just nailed with a club can actually feel what you did, yet has no way to express the pain? What if the old, abused ferret that I saved, then had to bury 3 days later is still suffering in pain? Or how about that tree that you're cutting into? I'm certain that those are living so how do you know that it can't feel the sharp chainsaw blading slicing its flesh, then innards then being let go to smash onto the hard ground? If everything could express itself I think this world would be a lot different. Yeah, yeah. Science this science that. Doesn't matter, you never know till you are part of it. You will never know if things can feel when they're dead or not alive to begin with.

1 comment:

  1. Unusual and "unusual" is a term of praise around here!

    I read a science fiction story years ago that worked with the same basic idea you have, and if I remember right, the story's protagonist went insane from all the screaming of plants, rocks, etc that only he could hear. (Or maybe he was crazy already and that's why he heard rocks screaming!)

    :)

    Anyway, yes, for whatever reason, this piece has some juice, jump, zip, and snap to it, all terms of praise.

    ReplyDelete