Sunday, October 6, 2013

week 7 theme

I was walking down the road once as a child. I had just been dropped off by the bus and was walking up the street as I did every day. Probably a street far too long to walk for an 8 year old but I did it anyway to avoid an extra hour on the horrible smelling bus. Anyway, I was walking along the side of the road kicking rocks as I always did and a truck pulled up beside me. A small green shit box of a truck and inside it was a shit box of a man behind the wheel. He had a long "white" beard- it was really stained yellow and had strange clumps in it. He pulled up beside me right next to me actually, -I now blame myself for not walking on the correct side of the street- and asked me if I wanted a ride home. Of course my mom had taught me one thing in life was to never get in a car with a stranger. I said no thanks and continued walking. He drove up beside me even more and asked me if I was sure. Uh yeah, pretty sure, thanks. I started to walk a little faster now because he was being persistent. He drove even closer to me practically forcing me into the ditch and said "I think you're a little too young to be walking alone, how about you hop on in my truck?"
"No thank you sir." I practically yelled at him. My house was only a few houses down by this time so I was praying to god he'd finally drive off, or I'd get to my house before he snatched me up. He then looked at me and said "Get your ass in my truck, now." I started to cry and run all at the same time. I took off in a dead sprint. I never ran so hard in my life. I looked back to see where he was and lucky for me he was turning around to leave. I kick myself every time I think about this story for not getting his license plate number. That was the last time I ever saw him.

1 comment:

  1. Paragraph anything this long.

    Whew, not a nice man. What happened next? Did you tell your parents?

    Compare this to the piece about Danielle telling the bully to knock it off. Here you're on fire--we get action, dialogue, character, description, your thoughts, the scene. All great stuff! Very satisfying piece.

    ReplyDelete