Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week 10 Theme

I can hear the screaming. It is so loud that I can hear it all the way in my bedroom across the house. I clutch my pillow hard as I listen to the sound of my mother hitting the floor. It's a diluted thud but nonetheless I can hear it plain as day. I wonder if I should go out and look, maybe call someone for help but I'm too scared that he'll come after me if I do. So I slowly tiptoe out of the comfort of my bed and creak open the door and swivel my head around the frame. It is silent, a little too silent. All of a sudden I can hear the loudest, blood curdling scream of my life. I slam my door shut and run back to my safe haven, fling the sheets over my head and silently pray that everything will be okay.

I crawl out of bed and walk down the stairs into the dining room. My stepdad sits at the table with his black robe and coffee. He's reading the newspaper and ignores my presence. My moms yells down from the kitchen saying good morning. I say it back. I can hear her slight footsteps as she walks through to the dining room, food in hand. She puts the plate down in front of him and he doesn't even make a noise. I can see last weeks bruises still on her face. She needs to put on more concealer to hide those. I look over at him to see if he has any anger in his eyes, maybe he is still upset from yesterdays debacle. I see him picking through his omelet and disgust starts to overwhelm his face. "You worthless bitch! I told you I didn't want any cheese! Get this garbage out of my face!" I quickly retreat back to my room before I see too much and hide under my sheets, my safe haven.

1 comment:

  1. Two powerfully detailed vignettes and a very telling quotation. I appreciate particularly how they both end more or less the same way--that nightmare sense that nothing changes is very week 10.

    ReplyDelete